Next plc is a British multinational clothing, footwear and home products retailer headquartered in Enderby, Leicestershire. It has around 700 stores, of which 540 are in the United Kingdom and Ireland, and around 200 are in continental Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Next is the largest clothing retailer by sales in the United Kingdom.
Next required a solution to manage the distribution of operational communication down to stores. Next relied on manual process and methods to send communication with a proprietary till based messaging solution and traditional methods such as fax and post.
Next approached RMS for a solution that would enable a controlled method of distribution with personalisation and targeting by shop type and role in store. In addition to this, Next wanted to be able to send simple messages to individuals in the system and also control and manage incident and accident processes.
Next’s marketing department needed to gather and collate detailed marketing information about fixtures, fittings and shop fit information.
RMS implemented various communication modules to enable Next to personalise and target content, task and collect and collate information via surveys.
A controlled messaging solution was implemented to enable users with appropriate authority to send and also receive email type messages into a simple inbox view.
Accident and incident modules were also implemented to enable accurate recording and real time reporting of all accidents and incidents in stores. These modules guide the user through creation and submission and provide validation and workflow to ensure accurate completion and validation.
A marketing database was created that held a comprehensive set of marketing attributes for each store. Everything from fixture types, lighting, ceiling heights and windows are recorded, updated and collated on a regular basis. Marketing periodically request the stores to update via the store planner and this results in reduced wastage for signage and educated decision making with regards to marketing activities and installations in store.
- Vertical – Clothing, Footwear & Homeware
- Employees – 54,000
- Stores – 740 (540 UK)
- Deliver targeted and personalised communication
- React tactically to market conditions
- Single source of operational communication
- Gather information from every store quickly and easily
- Comprehensive marketing database for each store
- Accurate completion and submission for incidents and accidents in store
- More shop floor time for store managers
- Less time spent on administration and enable focus on value-add activities
- Reduced production and postage costs
- Improved employee engagement
- Ease of access on iPad
- Reduced cost of re-work for accident and incident reporting
- Accurate information to effectively plan marketing activities and installations